Hospital Administrator, Hanson Torde, revealed that about 10 people from Alavanyo reported to the hospital last two weeks with the complain of stomach upset after consuming the fish which they said they bought from the market.
“Three out of the 10 lost their lives,” he said.
The hospital, he said recorded four similar cases on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 with same history from Torkor, a fishing community in Volta region.
Some fisher folks claimed that the fish is called ‘puffer fish’ also known as ‘poponawoe’ in Ewe.
Samples of the ‘poisonous’ fish, the hospital administrator said has sent to the Kpando Divisional Police Command for investigation.
The Hospital’s Medical Director, Dr Lucy Hometowu has asked the public to remain calm as the hospital authorities are researching into the case.
Source: Ghana/Adom News/Kofi Fokuo